Sunday 14 April 2013

Week 9 training roundup...

So now I am officially in training for my 10km!

Week 9
Activities: 5
Distance covered: 22.9 km
Average pace: 6.26 min/km
Calories burned: 1,459
Time spent 2:27:39

So this week my pace improved massively, I never thought I'd consistently be able to run that fast! I burned a few more calories too, which is always a bonus!
 
Sunday: 3.27km training plan run
Monday: rest day
Tuesday: rest day
Wednesday: 7.5km training plan run - 50 minute run
Thursday: rest day
Friday: 6.5km training plan run
Saturday: 5.00km training plan run
 
I had such a hard couple of runs this week. I was aching so much from digging up my garden at the weekend that I didn't think I had it in me to do any at all - I was still aching by Tuesday! So I rejigged my runs and had a couple of rest days. My bus home from work was late on Wednesday and I was annoyed that I missed my Pilates class, so I tackled a 50 minute jog instead - it was really tough and I felt like giving up but luckily I managed the whole run.

Thursday was another rest day and a disastrous weigh in, before I tackled another mega hard run on Friday. It was throwing it down with rain and my legs felt really heavy - I tried to get a good time for the first 5km (I managed it in 31.07, my best time ever) so I kind of burned myself out and struggled for the final 1.5km.

Saturday was an amazing day. I turned up to Braunstone Park for another 5km park run but wasn't expecting to beat my time of 31.07 because of how much running I had done this week and how tired I felt. But I promised myself that I would try my absolute hardest. The week before, I had done this run with my sister so it was a much slower pace and I was concentrating all of my efforts on her completing the race, so didn't look much around me at everyone else. However this week my sister was ill so I ran it by myself and I loved the atmosphere with 239 other runners doing the race too. I tried to keep up with a few people in front of me and it made me quite competitive!

There were people of all ages running faster than me but I tried not to let it bother me and instead concentrated on keeping my pace up. My Runkeeper was giving me a good indication that I was running a lot faster than usual, I think my first couple of splits were around 5.15min. I tried to aim to complete each km in 7 minutes, as it was my aim to finish the race in 30 mins. Half way through the race I felt myself burning out and the sun wasn't making it much easier... I felt as though I was going to be sick! There is a huge hill just after the half way point where a lot of people slow down to a walk but I kept on and tried my hardest to recover afterwards. The final hill is up to the finishing point and it was so tough! I kept my head down and had mixed feelings about all of the people passing me on their spring finishes - should I speed up too? But I didn't and just concentrated on not falling over right at the finishing line! And finally I finished the race, in...

27 min 30 seconds!!!!!

I beat my best previous 5km best time by two and a half minutes! I couldn't believe it.

The funny thing was that DC didn't see me finish because he said to his friend 'oh no Dani's just finished yet, I think she'll do it in 30 minutes so there's a few minutes left yet' and his friend turned round and said 'here she is!' So he was completely surprised and really proud that I exceeded both of us expectations and finished it much faster than planned.
 
 Happy I did my best... and happy it was over!

I'm really happy with my new 5km record! I'm not in too much of a rush to top it either, because 1. it feels so great and 2. I don't want to feel so awful again in a hurry!

Here's to next week!
 
Dans

No comments:

Post a Comment