Tuesday 9 April 2013

Garden time...

DC and I were stuck on how to spend our Sunday this weekend. DC came up with a choice - "we either go for a long walk to Bradgate park to try out my walking boots, or we do the garden". Well I really didn't want to go on a long hike because I was pretty tired from my weekend running, so the garden it was!


This is our garden. It may look lovely from afar, but all of the plants and bushes are so overgrown that they're becoming a nuisance, and they make our garden look quite closed in and smaller than it actually is. We agreed when we first moved in that DC and I both wanted all of the plants out, so that we would have a plainer garden that was less upkeep. To be honest, I am definitely not a garden person. Yes I will happily mow the lawn through the nice weather, but I'm not someone who would like to spend one Saturday a month cutting back plants in the garden.

As you can see on the photo we don't actually get a lot of sun in our garden - we didn't realise this until we moved in. We have our garage on the left, next door's conservatory on the right, and our house plus a high fence so we're quite closed in and in the shade a lot of the time.

When DC and I started on the first bush there was a funny moment when he exclaimed "Dani what are you doing!" when I started to chop down at the root. I told him I thought we were digging the bushes out, and DC in return told me that he thought we were only trimming them back. Oops! I might of a communication error there! But we knew we wanted them out so we just agreed to go ahead and do it.

 
This is DC working hard! I guess I got the fun part of chopping all of the bushes down where DC got the hard part of digging all of the roots out. But he seemed to enjoy it, and got through it quite quickly.
   
 
This is after. Yes it looks plain but we need to concentrate on the bigger picture! The verge where the plants were is about a metre long so we want a strip of turf to go cover half of the width, before filling the rest of the space with slate chip. The back will also be slate chip and also around the trees on the left (which are the only trees that will survive our garden massacre - I love them). I'm pretty certain it'll look fab once it's finished.
 
We also need a new fence because with all of the bad weather we've had lately, the wind eventually snapped our fence in half smack bang down the middle, so for the minute we've tied it to the trees behind as a temporary measure until we can afford to get a new fence.
 
We also have the slight problem of all of the rubbish in the middle of the lawn which now needs to somehow get to the tip! We were considering ordering a skip but I don't particularly think it's worth the price. We filled both ours and our neighbour's garden waste bins which are emptied tomorrow, and we'll fill them again ready for the next fortnight, before reassessing what's left over and trying to figure out how to get rid of it.
 
I can't believe how much I am aching now after only three hours in the garden! I feel as though I've done three hundred million chest presses! But it feels good to finally make a start on it, and to have done so much. Hopefully we can get the rest of it done pretty quickly (and cheaply) so that we can have a lovely garden in time for all of those summer BBQs!
 
Dans

No comments:

Post a Comment