Friday 5 April 2013

Bake off #4

Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake

DC's Mum had made this cheesecake when we went round for dinner a couple of weeks ago and it was so divine that I just had to steal the recipe and make it! It is taken from Nigella's latest Nigellissima book, and as always I was also drawn to it because it looked so easy to make, with no baking involved.


I was a little shocked when I was shopping for ingredients as I read that this recipe requires 500g of cream cheese - that's two huge tubs! I'm always skeptical about using so much soft cheese because it's so overpowering, but I gave it a go...

Recipe
250g digestive biscuits (I used sweetmeal digestives left over from my Easter rocky road bites)
75g unsalted butter (I always use marg)
1 x 400g tub of Nutella
100g chopped toasted hazelnuts
500g cream cheese - at room temperature
60g icing sugar, sifted

A whole jar of Nutella!! Obviously this recipe is the least Weightwatchers-friendly cheesecake I have ever made...........................


I broke the biscuits into small pieces and blitzed it in my blender along with the butter and 1 tbsp of Nutella. You're meant to keep blitzing it until it resembles a sandy mixture - it took a while due to the amount of biscuits. Also included in this mixture should have been 25g of the hazelnuts but I was so pressed for time that I didn't manage to find any in my local shops, so I had to omit it from the recipe entirely.


This biscuit mixture went into the bottom of a springform cake tin, which I popped into the fridge before I moved onto the rest.

The cream cheese and sugar was beaten until smooth (this was DC's job) before I added the Nutella bit by bit. I understand now why Nigella's recipe says to "patiently" scrape the Nutella out of its jar - it takes a while!

 
And then once the mixture was completely combined, it was simply poured into the cake tin and smoothed on top of the biscuit base.

 
The hazelnuts are again sprinkled on top of the cheesecake but I didn't do this. The recipe advises to refridgerate it for four hours or overnight as it's quite a soft mixture, and so I made this the night before I was due for a dinner date round my friend's house, and left it in the fridge overnight and through the day whilst I was at work.


I was really worried that it would be too soft cheese-y but it was perfect! If a little rich... my friends couldn't manage the big portions I served them however they insisted it was because they had demolished my rocky road bites first and were a bit full!

The good thing with this recipe is that it'll keep in the fridge for a few days - perfect for dipping in for a small slice from time to time!

It was absolutely delicious, and it did taste much better a couple of days after I made it. I'd definitely be making this again if I have a big party coming round, it was so simple to make and tasted completely divine.

Dans

No comments:

Post a Comment