Sunday 7 April 2013

Week 8 training roundup...

Week 8
Activities: 5
Distance covered: 24.1 km
Average pace: 9:08 min/km
Calories burned: 1,274
Time spent 3:40:30

So this week I seemed to slack a little bit and didn't beat my records from last week. Better luck next week!
 
Sunday: rest day
Monday: rest day (well it was Easter!)
Tuesday: 5.67km training plan run - 50 min jog with 5 min walking warmup, plus 7.60km walk
Wednesday: 1 hour pilates
Thursday: rest day
Friday: 3.70km training plan run - 20 min 'fun run'
Saturday: 5.00 km run! Plus 2.25km walk
 
So I was a bit slack on my runs this week - I just felt seems as it was Easter break that I deserved a little bit of a break myself! I still completed all of my training plan runs and even did a huge extra walk on Tuesday morning, so I didn't feel too bad about it really.

On Tuesday afternoon my sister and I had a training plan run and decided to go down a trail track that we had been waiting to try but couldn't due to the weather. It passes through a couple of villages and ends up in Glenfield, and it made for a great change.


It was a really gorgeous day too, the sun decided to come out for us! It was a really good jog and we didn't even get to the end of the trail before turning around to get our run timed right, so we can't wait to try it out again when we need to go a bit further.

Wednesday was my Pilates class which I loved as much as last week. I'm so glad I joined. This time I couldn't make the early class though so I drove there and back instead of walking. DC came with me though to the class, and he really enjoyed it! Thursday was my usual rest day / weigh in, and Friday was an easy 20 minute training plan run, I think Runkeeper called it a fun run, the day before our 5km race.

Saturday Well this was the day we had been planning for 8 weeks!! We arrived early and got going at 09:00am. We were last and there was absolutely no one behind us, but we didn't care, our aim was just to finish the race in 40 minutes. I knew that we had to stick to around 7.5minutes for each km, so I pushed my sister a bit and tried to keep the pace going. My sister did EXCELLENT! I am so proud of her. She does run a bit slower than me so I obviously wasn't going to get a true time but that wasn't what I was concentrating on - my sis and I had trained together, and so we were going to complete our first proper 5km together.

We did it in 40.08, and I'm so proud of my sister because even when she felt like giving up, especially on the hills, she kept going and I reminded her that she wanted to get this completed in 40 mins, and how disappointed she may feel if she didn't meet her goal. She only walked for about 30 seconds to catch her breath after a hill, the rest of the way she kept jogging and I'm so proud of her.

It felt great afterwards to know that eight weeks ago, neither of us would have been able to complete it at all. It also gave us a good idea of how races work, with this run having a bar code that we run with and we get given a ticket at the end of the race that we give in to determine our place.

We're running the 5km park run again next weekend, and I was going to run it alone to see what kind of time I would get, but I've changed my mind and I'm going to run it again with my sis so that we can try and beat our time.

Next up - 10km training!
 
Dans

No comments:

Post a Comment