Monday 5 August 2013

The best thing I did while I was away...

DC and I finally had our summer holiday. It was bliss. Perfect. Loved it. We booked it with only 2 weeks to go, so we didn't have much of a wait and it came around really quickly. It was so hot at home that the Met Office told me it would actually be hotter in Leicester than in Tenerife. But of course they were lying because who ever predicts the weather correctly anyway, and it was hot hot hot.

The hotel was lovely. We were situated on quite a big hill but we knew that before we went. Our apartment was also six floors up with no lift so I can safely say we had a good workout every day and the end result of this was a loss of 2.5lb at my return-from-holiday weightwatchers meeting. I know, who loses weight on holiday? Wahoo I do.

I can honestly say that I didn't have a single thing on my mind whilst I was laying there on the beach, by the pool, on the pedalo in the sea... it was bliss. I left our house in the capable hands of my good friend C, and I didn't think about it for the whole time away apart from on our final day when we had 2 missed calls from C because our house alarm reset itself in a thunderstorm and went off the moment C stepped in our house the next day. Note to self for next holiday: always give someone the house alarm code even if it is not set...

We went to Siam Park. It was amazing. It's a huge water park in Tenerife that hosts the most scary water rides you will ever see in your whole entire life.

 
This was the first ride we went on. Yes I was weeing myself. It's a 28m drop that goes down through an aquarium that holds sharks and other scary stuff - not that I would know as I obviously had my eyes closed the whole way down. It only takes 5 seconds to get from top to bottom - can you believe that?
 
We also got a pedalo out for the day and made use of our underwater disposable cameras.
 


 
I'm a bit of a scaredypants so I never thought I'd jump into the sea but I braved it on our last holiday and now you can't stop me, even though those pedalos are completely impossible to get back on and you end up hoisting yourself back on like a beached whale.
 
Our hotel was in Los Cristianos but because I had been to Playas de las Americas quite a few times I knew there were some great restaurants there and it was a bit more busy / commercial than Los Cristianos so we walked to Playas most nights along the beach front. It took about an hour but it was a lovely walk and the time flew by.
 
There was also a night where I got completely drunk but we'll skip that part.
 
Oh and I almost forgot, DC locked himself out on the balcony on the first night. I went to bed at 2am when we got in from our night, he was going outside for a cigarette then to bed. He didn't realise there was no handle on the outside of the balcony door, so once he closed the door that was it there was no getting back in. He said it felt as though he was bashing the door down but he should know that once I'm out, I'm out. Especially after a 4.5hour flight, 34c heat and a couple of mojitos. I woke up an hour later wondering where the hell he was, once I'd finally got my glasses on I did another sweep of the apartment and opened the balcony door to find him laying down on the floor between our beach towels. It's funny now thinking back but I felt so guilty at the time. Especially when he said he was considering jumping the balcony and getting a spare key from reception (we were only about a meter off of the 6th ground floor).
 


My headband saved me from burning my scalp off.



Obvs my new favourite photo of this man.

A teeny bit jealous of his tan.
 
DC found his home.
 
A week really wasn't long enough but for our last minute, cheap as possible summer hol, it was perfect for us and gave us the chance to get away and relax and spend some time together. Please don't make me wait another year until our next one!
 
Dans x


No comments:

Post a Comment