Friday 30 August 2013

That's what friends are for

My bestest most dearest friend was nee-nar'd into hospital last night so I drove straight from my sister's house at 8.30pm to meet here there. Needless to say she wasn't very happy at the thought of being there and staying overnight! Her health problems started with back pain last year and gradually it got worse with several different symptoms and 21 yes TWENTY ONE trips to the GP still without a diagnosis. 


I got home around 11pm last night and took a half day from work today and got back here at 2pm. Obviously the fact that she is my dearest friend plus the dire state of the UK's hospital's dinner menu, part of my job was to stack up on some yummy supplies for her. 


We've finally been told that she can go home so we've been moved to the discharge unit (17:08 although I'm writing this offline to post when I can find wifi later) where we might be waiting another couple of hours for her drugs and then we can finally go home. 


Hospitals always make me feel uneasy. I just have to help people because I know professionals are busy and overworked but the just aren't enough of them. I don't like hearing elderly people shout out for some help or not be able to open their sandwiches. I just left the hospital at the same time as an elderly man, walked all the way from the main entrance to grab my car which was out of the hospital grounds and parked in a residential area, drove it up a dual carriageway and back down into the hospital to park, and paid for parking in the same time as it took the man to only manage to walk around the corner. It breaks my heart. 

I think my hatred of hospitals (well who likes them anyway??) comes from visiting here so many times as a kid and growing up. Not only does my mum work for the 3 Leicestershire hospitals but she was also in and out of here for long periods of time through Christmasses and birthdays with her own health. 

I'm just over hearing an old man tell someone else that he has been waiting I'm this discharge room since 10:00. It's now 17:36. Is there nothing that we can do to improve this???? J and I are talking about setting up our own ambulance drop off home service. There would be no 7 hour waits to go home, and we will also offer you cake. OK get me to Dragon's Den!

DC's brother and his girlfriend are coming round late tonight to stay over and I'm taking them to the airport tomorrow for their summer holiday. How exciting! It feels like our holiday was such a long time ago! I've bought some yum looking m&s pizzas and chips to have a bit of a comfort food splurge tonight, and they have promised to supply the wine even though my wine rack is looking extremely healthy indeed since my birthday! 

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment