Tuesday 6 August 2013

Minute by minute: the first run after a month off

So I've been putting off running for a while, using the excuse that I was 'having a rest'. I knew that I just had to get the first run out of the way, but I also knew how hard it was going to be after a month off, so I've been chickening out. And I've definitely not been getting up to my 5.30am alarm to try and run in the mornings.

So today after work I bit the bullet and went for it. I was aiming for 20 mins, and I managed 25 mins down the trail near to my house. Here's how it went.

Minute 1: Wow, I forgot how good it feels to run
Minute 2: Ok, I forgot how hard it is to get into a good rhythm
Minute 4: Boy, running in the heat is really lame compared to running in the winter
Minute 5: Must remember to buy some running shorts, these leggings are no good in the sun
Minute 6: I wish I had bought some music on my run
Minute 7: Was I struggling this much by minute 7 before?
Minute 9: Almost half way there, but jesus am I going slow!
Minute 10: Maybe it's easier if I remember to breathe
Minute 11 (going across an industrial estate zebra crossing): "Lift your knees up!" said the car letting me cross
Minute 11.20: Who the hell is that trying to tell me how to run?
Minute 11.40: Ok maybe I'm doing a Phoebe run and everyone's watching me thinking how bad my form is
Minute 12: Why do I care how my running form is and what other people think of me? I'm running for fun now, remember
Minute 13: OK maybe I should just lift my knees up a bit and see what happens...
Minute 13:30: Wow, this really makes you go faster!
Minute 14: Forget this, it's far too much hard work, I'll just run how I want to run
Minute 15: I need to thank that man for these last 4 minutes passing so quickly
Minute 16: Here comes the sweat
Minute 18: OK, I can do this, it's not so bad
Minute 19: I'm sure my legs just.won't.move.any.faster
Minute 20: 6 minute 45 average km? Wow I've really lost all of my fitness in the last month and all that hard work has gone down the drain
Minute 21: Maybe I should have drank more water
Minute 22: I am so close to the end now but I just.can't.run.any.more
Minute 23: How the hell did I used to run for an hour?
Minute 24: Ouch, ouch, pain in my chest, but can't stop, can't stop, so close to the end...
Minute 25: THANK GOD FOR THAT

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment