Friday 30 August 2013

I have to tell you about the most amazing run ever

Do you remember how I thought Tuesday's run was the best run ever? I was pretty wrong about that. I got home from the hospital tonight just after 7 and knew I didn't really have time to run but I also knew that I had made a promise to myself to run 4x25 mins this week, with today and tomorrow having to include a run. I already had it in my mind that today wouldn't be a fast run because Tuesday's was so great, plus my shin had started niggling again. 

So I got out there and beat Tuesday's best run ever with the actual best best run ever ever. 

Week 2 - 25 minutes 
1/4 Tuesday: 3.79km, 6:36min/km av pace
2/4 Wednesday: 3.95km, 6:20min/km av pace
3/4 Thursday: 4.08km, 6:08min/km av pace

I really smashed it today! I don't know whether it was a thought of 'life's too short' coming from the hospital today, but I completely went for it and exceeded myself more than I thought I could. 

One thing I think really helped me was my boss. He's a triathlete. He asked me how my running was going and I explained that I wasn't racing the Leicester Half Marathon in October any more because I hurt my knee and shin on my 10k race and it kind of put me off. So he got up out of his big MD's chair and proceeded to demonstrate how he thinks I am running (foot out first instead of knee) and how maybe I can change to improve (run from the bum and use the knees more to avoid heel strike). 

I have to admit I wasn't really listening to my boss. 
1) I didn't really want to talk about bums with my MD
2) he is, his words not mine, a bad runner
3) all I could think about was the gazillion things on my to-do list to complete before 5pm

But then I thought back to the lorry driver on my run the other day who assumed he was qualified in running enough to tell me to lift my knees up. So I thought I had nothing to lose by doing it. IT WORKED. I ran amazingly. It improved my pace and distance. I may make more of an effort to listen to strangers (and my boss) in future. 

And I'm so happy with my run that I'm even willing to show you a post run sweat-fest photo 


I had to hurry up and take this photo as the sweat was literally running and stinging my poor eyes. I don't think I will ever learn to take my face off before running, because for the 5 mins it takes to cleanse, tone and moisturise I am certain I will lose the motivation to run. 

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment