Saturday 14 September 2013

Genius ways to make your run seem faster

A 30 minute run is a 30 minute run. Unfortunately there's no way of magically shaving the last 5 minutes off of that but there are some strategies I use to take my mind off of the minutes and before you know it you're finished and have that amazing post-run triumphant feeling. Here's my ideas and a few of DC's too. 

1) I used to split my run in half and turn around half way through, but knew that my finish point was exactly where I started and sometimes it felt I would never ever get there. Now I run further on my outward run so that the finish line is a surprise - if I keep switching my outbound time around then I never know exactly where my finish line is and it always happens to come around faster than I expect it to. 

The extra walk on the way home always helps to cool down too and I can either catch up with my friends on the phone or start a draft blog post while my running thoughts are still fresh in my mind. 

2) Be polite. For me there's nothing nicer than a dog walker or a fellow runner saying hi to me as we pass. And gradually I've stopped keeping my head down and started to be the first one to say hi - and that for me all red and sweaty faced was quite a feat. Running, cycling, walking we are in all this exercise circle together and a smile and a 'good morning' really perks me up and makes me feel much more positive about what I am achieving. 

3) Take in the scenery. I have a trail right by my house that leads to the next village and it's so beautiful through all of the seasons even when it's throwing it down with rain. I run past birds, squirrels, countless dogs, horses and cows, and when the sun is shining I realise how lucky I am to live in the countryside. 

4) Think up blog posts while you're running. I can come up with my best ideas while out and about putting one foot in front of the other as fast as I possibly can. I seem to forget them all by the time I'm back home and showered, but it's a good start!

5) Find a friend to run with you. I'm not at the stage yet to find a running partner because I do feel as though I wouldn't be able to keep up with them. But I see ladies running in groups and realise how much fun they're having together. You can catch up on the latest news and gossip and not only that but you have double the support plus double the celebration at the end (and you're more tempted to reward yourself with a trip to the coffee shop for cake - who can say no to that?) Before my sis got her hernia I used to love our running trips together, I enjoyed the slower pace and having someone by my side. 

6) Stop clock watching. I'm not very good at this. I love watching my pace and knowing how far I've ran but it's not a great feeling when you realise the minutes haven't flown by as fast as you feel they have. Sometimes I make a promise to myself pre-run that I won't look at my runkeeper until a certain point in the run and it definitely helps. I've also turned off the 5-minute update so that now my runkeeper only tells me when I've hit my next km, so the absence of constant reminders definitely makes me feel much better. 

7) Listen to music. This is an idea from DC. I used to listen to music all of the time like he does but nowadays I run without. Most songs are over 3 minutes long and if you sing along in your head it's a good distraction from what you're doing. I use runkeeper but I know that the Nike running app has a power song that kicks in when your pace is slacking - one of the Finance Directors at work had the Rocky song blasting out when his pace hits below a certain pace and it really motivates him to get his legs moving. 

8) Think about how you'd spend your millions if you win the lottery. Another one of DC's ideas, I just hope that included in his list is a Mulberry handbag and a ten year free supply of Clinique for me. 

8) Find a friend to celebrate the finish line with you. 

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment