Wednesday 30 October 2013

Running for fun

I did it. I went out. I didn't want to. I had a stressy day and a lonnnnnger than usual drive home from work (never take a new route thinking it would be quicker. Stick to the plan!) and when I got home I was 99.1% tempted to put my jamas on and 0.9% tempted to go for a run. But I knew that the one thing I needed to do to get rid of my negative thoughts and feelings was to get out on the pavement. 


6.0km later, I finished strong and happy. I was supposed to stop at 5.5k but I felt so good that I thought another 0.5km wouldn't do any harm. It was a slow run, no way near my fastest but I needed to make the decision whether to concentrate on pace or distance, and my shins were saying long and slow. I muted my Runkeeper and just ran based on feeling. 

I said before how both the trail and running up to the next village are now off limits because neither have street lighting and DC (and me) is not comfortable with me running in places where I'm not 100% safe. So I had a mental challenge too knowing that I would be running laps around the village, which is not the most interesting running route and definitely proved hard when I started lap 2. But as soon as I was up our main village hill for the second time, the positivity returned knowing that it was all downhill and flat until the end. 

I love running in the chilly weather. Running in the heat makes me feel really overwhelmed, so a dry Autumn night is perfect for me and tonight's run reminded me exactly why I got into running in the first place. 

Advantages of running in the wind:
1. It cools you down

Disadvantages of running in the wind:
1. Must remember to Vaseline the lips thoroughly before I leave the house
2. The smell of the chippy drafts all the way up the village and it is torture running through it

So tonight was a fun run and I came home feeling on top of the world. This mix of running and swimming is really helping. I had a mega strong swim yesterday and came away feeling great. I know that I'm never going to be the best or fastest runner but I'm going to try my hardest to get fitter and enjoy it at the same time. 

Tuesday: 30 lengths swim
Wednesday: 6.0km / 39:09 / 6:31min per km av pace

DC got the call today to say Ofsted are in tomorrow so he didn't get home from school until 8pm, where of course his favourite meal was waiting for him. 


It's my turn for bake off tomorrow night so I'm going to get some recipes out and see what I can come up with to feed the girls tomorrow. 

I also found this year's Christmas crackers that I am going to buy for my annual Christmas bake off night, although it might be too early to tell you all that ;)

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment