Tuesday 8 October 2013

My new love affair

I'm loving my workouts so much these past couple of weeks that I'm surprising myself. It must be a combination of good days at work, getting home earlier, and swimming that have all made me really look forward to my run. 

I'm not a very motivated person and I'll be the first to admit it. I'm either all or nothing - absolutely crazy about something or really not bothered at all. I'm still crazy about running, but I was starting to get that 'oh no I'm tired from work and I have 5k to knock out' feeling a few weeks ago, which led me to taking a fortnight off. That has completely vanished and I'm up for it every day. 

I've said it before but swimming has helped so much. 3x swims a week and 3x runs really works for me. I'm no longer concerned about shin splints and I'm also no longer overtired every day from running  every night. Swim is definitely something I'm going to keep up. 

This is my second week of a workout every day and today I felt so. tired. But I was still up for a run in the rain and really enjoyed it. I prefer running in colder temperatures, summer is worse for me because I hate being too hot, it makes me feel really overcome and claustrophobic. Me and the wind were good friends tonight. 

The trail will be too dark to run on soon so I'm trying to make the most of it until then. I get a bit bored running around the village and really love the trail, it's so peaceful and relaxing to run through (except 4.50-5.00km of course, nothing is peaceful and relaxing about the final hurdle). I did notice a planning permission poster up though which explains that the trail is going to be expanded to make all of it 3m wide (excellent) AND there are going to be street lights. Fantastic. 

So I ran round the main street of my village tonight and past the chip shop where the smell was hugely punishingly delicious, which was 2.5km and I finished the run on the trail. 

Monday was a 30min good swim but far too busy with after school kids getting in the way. 

Here's my recap from my first 2 5kms
Thursday: 5.00km / 31:06 / 6:13min per km av pace
Saturday: 5.00km / 31:12 / 6:14min per km av pace

And here's how I finished off the plan:
Tuesday: 5.00km / 29:57 / 5:59min per km av pace
Wednesday: 5.00km / 30:52 / 6:10min per km av pace

Not bad huh?? I know I'm not going to win a marathon with these 3 mile runs but I'm really pleased with my times. 

I'm finishing off my workout week with a swim tomorrow before bake off at my sister's, and of course I have my 10 mile walk on Friday, which means my rest day will be switched from Sunday to Saturday and I'll get a run in on Sunday before I start a new week. 

My next set of runs: 4 x 5.5km 

We are so close to the weekend!

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment