Wednesday 1 May 2013

My life in pictures #10

I have exciting news that I've been keeping for you... I bought a Fiat 500 on Saturday!!!


And I picked it up today!!!


Ahhh I am IN LOVE.

I passed my driving test on 19 February 2010. I was sooo nervous because I wasn't getting on with my original driving instructor, so I switched instructors only four weeks before my test, also switching from a diesel car to a petrol, which was probably the biggest change.

My little brother, who was 17 at the time (early driving starter) had his original test in January but because of the snow it was postponed... to the same day as mine! He pulled up outside home (with my old driving instructor - cringe) just as I was setting off for my hour lesson before my test. He told me smugly that he had passed with 4 minors, so it put the pressure on a bit!

So I beat him by passing with no minors, of course.

I got my first car the week after, and at the time it was the most expensive thing I had ever bought! It was a lilac T reg KA and cost me about £1200. I LOVED IT. I loved my car and I loved my sudden freedom! But it must have been a bad choice because I did nothing but throw money at it, and in October 2011 just as DC and I decided we were going to start saving for a house, my car failed its MOT and the garage predicted it would cost £700 to fix, but because it was the welding underneath the car that was the problem, the bottom of the car was literally falling apart and I was warned that it wouldn't last another year.

So I tearfully said goodbye to my first beloved car and it was driven off by Dad to the tip. I was so upset, it seemed like the end of the world, but I knew that my money would be better put towards the saving of the house deposit instead of chucking it at a piece of metal.

So I couldn't afford another car until I started to save this January. And it feels like I haven't had one for forever! I was looking forward to going to look for a car on Saturday for so long, but I'm an anxious person so I lost a lot of sleep over the fact I'd probably have to test drive a car, and I was also worried that they would somehow say no I wasn't allowed one - I knew there was no chance I'd fail a credit check but then it kept playing in the back of my mind.

Anyway, come Saturday morning and the sales guy was really nice, they had my chosen colour in stock, the offer that I was after was still on, and I sailed through the test drive (after stalling at the petrol station before I even started). And he told me I could collect it on Wednesday!


So I walked from work to the showroom today and picked up my brand spanking new car and drove it to my parents house. They loved it too and DC met me there. It was such a lovely drive from the showroom to their house; I was so apprehensive about the drive but it was a dream.

I've taken it to the shopping centre to get some mats and then drove it round a few times to get used to it. I also let DC drive it, how lucky was he!

I have been driving DC's car since the end of January, so I have been used to driving again but I was always worried about driving his Astra because it seemed so big compared to my little KA. But this car is lovely and I'm so glad I've got one again to call my own!

Dans

No comments:

Post a Comment