Friday 15 November 2013

When was your last good deed????

A couple of weeks ago, the BBC's random stat of the day was:
"48 good deeds a year on average are carried out by each Briton per year"
(BBC.co.uk/news)

So this equates to each Briton doing a good deed almost once a week each year, bar four weeks when they feel like being a bit selfish (I bet on January). 

Do you do a good deed every week of the year???? Do I????

It made me think. I would like to think that I am a generous person, and get told so quite often too. But there are definitely people who are much kinder to people than I am, for example my mum who always seems to put everyone first all of the time without any kind of bother or resentment. She would give you her last £3 for a coffee even if it meant she had to go without one herself. She donates £50 each Christmas to buy chickens (or is it goats) to feed people in developing countries. I spend £50 a year on a mini mani month advent nail polish advent calendar. She is 100% a good deed person. 

So what constitutes a good deed?

You'll be unlikely to see me letting you out in front of me if you want to switch lanes on the roads when I'm either on the way to work or coming home after a stressful day. Does that count? I wouldn't say that is refusing to do a good deed, I just say that you should have been driving in the right lane to begin with. 

I pull my neighbours' bins back in towards their house if they haven't quite made it home from work (or golf) yet after the recycling men have been. But is that a good deed too or is it simply playing your part in the community?

Earlier this week in Wilkinsons I was looking for some nail polish remover when I saw an elderly lady scanning the shelves and looking at the products very closely with a magnifying glass right up to her eye. So I stepped in and asked her whether there was something I could help her to look for. "Well my dear I am looking for something to help my piles", she replied. So I helped her look for something for her piles. I think that was definitely my good deed of the week. 

I thought that people giving up their time / money / efforts / comfort to help someone else was becoming rare. I know that we Brits are known for being kind and patient and helpful but we all lead such busy lives and sometimes it's easy when you're late for work or rushing around or generally just busy, to put yourself first. But I was proved wrong just 5 minutes ago because as I have been sitting here at Birmingham train station waiting for my train to Bristol for a charity event tonight, not one but two separate men have stood up and offered their seats to approaching women. Now that is definitely their good deed for the week. 

What do you do on a day to day basis to make up your 48 good deeds of the year?

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment