Wednesday 13 November 2013

Santa's got a long shift this year.

Let's talk about Christmas spirit. 

Yes I know it is far too early. 

It is 12 November and Christmas is EVERYWHERE. The big companies' adverts have already been launched, wrapping paper has been in the shops since October, and there are winter bonanza sales everywhere to tempt you to start the Christmas shop early.  

I do admit that apart from my Christmas jumper buy (Primark sell out so early) and scoffing a Boots cranberry and turkey sandwich (it was the only one left promise), I was really hoping to lay off Christmas everything until 1 December. I even avoided the Benefit advent calendar launch (that was hard). I was half tempted to buy a Gregg's mince pie on my lunch break the other day but my friend and I decided to make a mince pie lunch date on 1 December and avoid them until them (that was extra hard).

DC leaves the Christmas shopping up to me, and my friend & I go to Birmingham every year to make a trip of it, shop until our hearts content, and fit in a few mulled wines, but I'm finding it harder to hold off this year. Everywhere you look, there are pretty shiny things and I find myself thinking "oo he will like that" or "oo if I buy her that I might sneak one in for myself too" and I'm so tempted to get my wish list up and running. 

12 November, people. 

I especially feel for people who have children; it must be pretty hard to hold off the excitement for so long. As soon as Halloween is over, the shops clear their shelves and go overboard on the next 'must have' item. 

I know everyone says "it's officially Christmas when the Coca Cola advert comes up" but come on Coca Cola Christmas is a holiday and NOT ONE AND A HALF MONTHS LONG. 

I might sound a bit like a Scrooge which I'd like to stress I am not. I LOVE Christmas. And there's so many great things going on during the season that I do start Christmas early and start celebrating on 1 December. And I do like the feeling of being enticed by mulled wine, cider, mince pies, cheese, cranberry sauce and those cheese nibbles that you always get on the table at your nana's Christmas buffet (yum). I just think it's too early right now. Autumn is my favourite time of year and I like appreciating the cold wrapped up bonfire nights before moving onto the Santa talk. 

The only thing that seems to agree with me is the radio, as I haven't heard a single snippet of a Christmas jingle blare through my car stereo yet. But if I do hear All I Want For Christmas Is You before I am ready, then trust me it won't be pretty. 

What do you think? Is it too early or should we succumb to the commercial pressure and start celebrating now?

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment