Thursday 21 November 2013

It's the season to go dress shopping

So I know I did a whole post complaining about Christmas coming early but I put dress shopping for the season in a completely different category. You wait til 1 Dec to start Christmas shopping, but you can start dress shopping whenever you want to. I give permission. 

It usually takes such a long time to find the perfect dress for your work Christmas do, and New Year's Eve, that it's normal to start scouting early. I wanted something different, fashionable and relatively cheap. I know, I know... Hello Topshop. 

But first I checked out Zara online and came across some of the most beautiful prints I've seen all year. 


The problem with my body shape is that I can't buy one size online and guarantee it will fit. Because I'm bottom heavy I tend to fit easily into 8s for flowing or a line dresses, although anything remotely snug and I could go up to a 10 or have that not fit either. The other problem is that our Zara store never seems to stock anything that I spot online. This was the case with all four of these dresses, and it was really disappointing to not find even one because I was so excited about trying them on. Maybe when I go to Birmingham in December I can scout a few out. 

So naturally, I went to Topshop. 


First I tried on this dress and LOVED it. The fabric, the style, the look... But I didn't like the way it looked on me. 


The front looked lovely but with my body shape when you turn to the side, the ruffles make you a) feel like big bird from Sesame St and b) look 6 months pregnant. So for £60 I didn't want to buy it and not feel completely comfortable. But I really did love it. 

The first dress I spotted was the one I ended up purchasing. I looked at it on the hanger thinking it wouldn't fit me but took it in with me because I loved it. 


It's VERY different but that's what I wanted. It's quite snug at the bottom and my lack of squats all throughout my life has led to a 95% chance of me buying some pull me ins and ups to help my bum pull up and body look more streamlined. Nevertheless I am in love with my new dress. It is velvet with a fringe bottom and looks darker without the camera flash, almost a plum colour. It's quite thin but I will team it with black tights and some trusty Topshop boots which will casual my look down a little. 


For £38 you can't go wrong. They also do this in a teal colour without the pattern, which is a great colour as well for the party season. 

I really didn't think DC would like this dress but he loved it when I tried it on. I'm really looking forward to my work Christmas party now on 5 December. I just hope I don't find something I love more in the meantime!

Dans x

No comments:

Post a Comment